Monday 9 February 2015

Week 4 Summary

This week was a somewhat slow one, not least because of finally catching the cold that was going around.

After continuing to make tileable textures for the main building for a while, I started work on the satellite dish. The modelling didn’t take too long due to the simple shapes and the ability to use modifiers such as lattice to make the scaffold around the dish. However it did take a very long time to unwrap since I then had to unwrap each strut individually. There are currently a couple of small gaps in the UV map so it isn’t as efficient as it could be, but it is very likely I will add another smaller dish to the side of the structure that can then make use of that area.

Texturing the dish was difficult- the whole asset would almost entirely be made of the same material so I’d need to make it convincing. I spent a long time adding highlights and some subtle weathering but I’m still not happy with the result. Ideally I would be able to use a texturing program like those often used in the industry such as Substance Painter or Quixel Suite, but as I greatly prefer working in the labs I am presented with the problem of not being able to install programs on university machines. Substance Painter does bypass this by being accessible by steam, but it is a lot more expensive than Quixel, and does a lot less. I am going to try and speak to the lecturers to see if there is anything I can do.


At the end of the week I started making grass to bake down onto planes. We decided to do presentations among ourselves to see people’s progress and offer each other advice. I don’t think I conveyed the alien forest idea perfectly since a lot of suggestions were things like adding lots of moon dust, I could still use the idea of a crater or two to add interesting features. Other ideas included having glass that changes opacity rather than shutters, and shooting stars. They thought the texture on my satellite dish was good but needed work on the specular.


The tasks for next week will be to make foliage and revisit the main building to create a lightmap.

No comments:

Post a Comment