Friday 17 April 2015

Easter Recap and Week 11

Work-wise, my priority over Easter was split between this and improving the diorama project. With that in mind I did not progress an awful lot but the changes I did make were important ones.

I created the lake using a combination of a couple of different tutorials and a lot of additional tweaking. One of the tutorials was quite complex and possibly more than is needed for my lighting conditions so I may go back and remove some sections. The waterfall itself required less tweaking but the addition of more textures layered over the top to add movement. I actually sculpted and baked the waterfall but it isn’t very visible. To mask the seam between the waterfall and lake, and add some realism, I created a few particle systems for foam and splashes. Changes I’m considering making include adding more foam to the waterfall, and continuing to turn down the metalness.


The other change was that I finally created the skybox. This involved a program called SpaceScape where you create layers and play around with variables to create nebulas. I tried to use it without a tutorial but wasn’t at all happy with the result so I tried again with one, and then made changes and duplicated layers to turn it into what I wanted. I then had to use the Nvidia texture tools to stitch the six renders together to make the cubemap compatible with UE4. This is where I hit a snag, as the way the sky sphere worked meant the texture couldn’t be rotated. All I could do was keep returning to Photoshop, roatating and switching around the six sides and re-saving, hoping I had done everything correctly. The current view of the skybox in game was the best position I could do.


Week 11

The first day back I spent modelling small assets and trying to fix the lightmap issues I was having. I managed to improve the problem, but not make it go away.

The next day I decided to tackle something different for a change, animating the Orrery. I used bones for each planet’s orbit, their holographic rotation and their holographic annotations. It didn’t take an awful lot of playing around to work out how to get the bones linked up the way I wanted, but once I was done making it animate correctly was tricky. I’d set the main bones up so that their axis matched up with the orbits would follow, but the animation seemed to scoop, moving more horizontally before realigning upwards or downwards towards the keyframe location. This meant if I only used the start and end keyframes they rotated only on the horizontal instead of around their orbits. It turned out I needed to tell the keyframes what axis to prioritise to fix this. The holographic signs I had to set to not have their rotation affected by the bones they were linked to so that they would always face forward.
The real problem arose when the animation I imported didn’t match what was in Max. My first import had the planets and their labels rotating in place on a strange axis. This I fixed by selecting the ‘Resample All’ checkbox. Then all bones were having an effect, but the planets were yet again only rotating horizontally. Eventually I worked out that I had to go back to Max and lock all the variables that weren’t being animated. I don’t understand why exactly this worked but now I know for the future.


For the rest of the week I continued working on the small assets to add character to the interior. The aim was to fit them all onto the one sheet with the weather station. I’d had ideas already about what small assets to make but once I had used up all the most suitable ideas I was still left with some gaps on the UV map, so I spent extra time thinking of even more generic assets such as coasters.

No comments:

Post a Comment