Friday 23 January 2015

Week 2 Summary

I began the week planning the layout of the kitchenette.
Received some critique from one of the tutors, and as a result I adjusted the bedroom to be shorter and wide enough to fit bedside tables and I extended the balcony out further. There were also concerns about space in the main room, but as I have been working on rectifying that already I wasn't sure how much I could do without causing more problems. I left this issue to worry about later in the week.
I blocked out a couple more assets to try and work around the scale issues, and I replaced the blocks currently being used for ground with actual terrain to work with later.
At one point I was having some issues with UE4’s automatic exposure being temperamental with glowing objects. Things looked fine in the editor window but change when run as a game. I managed to fix this by the end of the week with the help of one of the tutors by changing the bloom settings.
I also began sketching out props to act as clutter.


I added the steps and landing pad to the whitebox, and did a couple of sketches of the landing pad. I also sketched a couple of concepts for the generator.

At this point I decided there were parts of the whitebox I didn’t like- adjusted the landing pad to be lower and directly below the house’s main window. I also tried to make the room slightly wider in accordance to the feedback I had received earlier in the week, but I thought it looked strange when it was expanded by a large amount so I only made it fractionally bigger.
I then began remaking parts of the house more cleanly to hopefully use in the final asset later.

At the end of the week I received some more feedback. The main points of which were that the exterior portion of the scene could be laid out in a more interesting way and that the main room was still too small. I shifted the landing pad to be off centre, so that you can see the satellite dish from where you’d start.

Rescaling the main room took a while but eventually I managed to get the scale to be similar to that of the images I was inspired by such as the Deus Ex concept art. The result of these changes was of course having to adjust what I'd started properly modelling already but the improvement was worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment